Most Commonly Asked Questions About Website Hosting
Looking to get started with web hosting, but not sure where to begin? We've got you covered! In addition to our comprehensive reviews, we've compiled answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about hosting a website to help you get started.
How Do I Choose a Website Hosting Service? What Should I Look For?
When looking for the best service to host your website here are a few key factors to take into account:
- Know your hosting needs- What kind of website are you building? Is it a WordPress site, an eCommerce site, or perhaps something more complex?
- Reliable uptime- What is your prospective host's reliability and uptime guarantee? It is crucial to choose a web host that operates 24/7 on a powerful server with stable network connections. 99.5% and above is the average recommended uptime score, anything below 99% is unacceptable.
- Research cost- Be sure to check out hosting deals, and if you are very price-conscience, you may want to look into shared hosting solutions. Often, website hosting services offer inexpensive introductory prices but these may rise when you renew.
What are Some Different Types of Web Hosting?
- Free Website Hosting- Free website hosting with a free domain name can, save users hundreds of dollars when it comes to creating and publishing their sites. These free hosting services provide customers with free domain name registration, free website building tools and free shared, or cloud, hosting services. However, in most cases, this comes at the expense of a branded domain name and a site filled with ads of the web host.
- Paid Website Hosting- Paid website hosting is the best option for businesses and all serious websites as they provide all of the tools needed to create and host a successful website, including sophisticated website builders, intuitive control panels, integrated SEO and traffic tracking tools, email marketing software and advertising credits, as well as virtually unlimited resources, guaranteed uptime, and high server performance.
- Global Web Hosting- Hosting your website globally will help ensure high server availability and performance by distributing loads among multiple, distantly located servers. For example, the top web hosts Australia provide local, as well as global, users with high availability and solid server performance.
What if I’m a Newbie?
If you’re new to the game, we recommend getting your feet wet by first trying a shared hosting provider. These shared hosting solutions are cheap, easy to maintain, and sufficient for most new sites. You can easily get a feel for the ins and outs of website hosting and if you ever want to upgrade, you can always move your site to VPS or dedicated hosting at a later stage.